Fulfilling your life purpose. Despite what you may have been lead to believe, this is the most important job any human can ever do. It helps us feel empowered and secure, facilitates personal and collective growth, and brings about a universal understanding that no other job in the world has the capability to do. But how do we go about finding the life purpose that’s uniquely ours?
In the following post, I’ll share some things you can begin doing to discover and uncover your specific life purpose. I’ll also share why finding your life purpose can be beneficial to your personal success.
How discovering your life purpose can benefit your success…
Most of us have learned that finding our life purpose means we must discover that one thing that we’re supposed to devote our life to doing. But, in actuality, finding your life purpose is more like uncovering the map of the adventures you’ll be having, and the work you’ll be doing during your time here on earth. This map will tell you what you’ll likely be doing, how you’ll likely be doing it, what lessons you’ll be learning and what you’ll likely discover, uncover and experience along the way. This can be beneficial to your personal success because it will equip you with the knowledge and understanding you need to make your life more meaningful. As a result, you’ll be able to take actions and make decisions that will consistently and happily move you forward instead of leave you floundering or hold you back.
So what are some things you can begin doing to discover and uncover your specific life purpose? Find out via the process outlined below.
How to discover and uncover your life purpose…
- Write it down – The quickest, easiest and most fun way I’ve found to discover and uncover your life purpose is to write it down in the same way you’d write your happinesses down every day.
- Create Two Lists – To begin the process of discovering and uncovering your life purpose, you’ll want to create 2 lists. The first list you’ll create will be a set of working papers which you’ll change out depending on which aspect of yourself or your life that you’re examining at the time. So for example, if you’re taking an inventory of the things that you enjoy doing or things that you like, the title at the top of your working papers would be “Things that I like/enjoy doing”. And if you were examining situations that keep showing themselves in your life, the title of your working papers would be “Situations I keep seeing in my life”. The second list you’ll create will be called “About Me”. This list will be a master list that you’ll want to keep beside you and periodically add to as you examine each of the questions that are listed below.
- Take an inventory of your life thusfar – Use your working papers to take an inventory of your life as it’s been thusfar. Take the time to discover and uncover the answers each of the following questions has to offer you. Take special note of things that have been consistent during the course of your life thusfar, and also things that have repeated. These are messages from the universe telling you about your life purpose. For example, the act of writing is something I’ve enjoyed doing since I was small.
- What kinds of things have you consistently dreamed about doing during the course of your life thusfar?
- What kinds of things have you consistently wanted to experience during the course of your life thus far?
- What kinds of things have you consistently liked during the course of your life thusfar?
- What kinds of things do you (or have you) consistently enjoy doing during the course of your life thusfar?
- What kinds of things have you found yourself consistently doing during the course of your life thusfar?
- What kinds of things (good or bad) have you had a penchant for attracting into your life
- What kinds of situations or circumstances keep showing up in your life?
- What types of people keep showing themselves in your life?
- What types of emotions keep showing themselves in your life?
- What types of reactions have you consistently had during different situations, circumstances and events that have occurred during the course of your life?
- What kinds of things have consistently left you feeling disheartened, frustrated, sad or angry during the course of your life?
- Add items to your “About Me” list – As you take a written inventory of each of the questions above,take notice of which of the things you write down on your working papers resonate most in your heart. Write those things down on your “About Me” list. (A good way to tell if something resonates in your heart is if it makes you feel really happy, hits a nerve or feels bothersome to you).
- Get to know your “About Me” list – Once you’re done examining the aspects of your life that are listed above, take note of and become friends with the items you’ve written on your “About Me” list. This will help you come to truly know and understand your life purpose – who it is you really are, and what it is your really supposed to be doing in your life.
- Keep the items on your “About Me” list in mind – Keep the items on your “About Me” list in mind as you go about your daily life. Use them to assess situations, make big and small decisions and set short and long term goals for yourself and your life. Try to align your job, lifestyle, actions, behaviors, decisions and plans to the items on your list as best you can. This way, you’ll be working in alignment with your life purpose, and your life will feel much more rewarding, prosperous and sweeter as a result.
That’s it! The process of discovering and uncovering your specific life purpose. Keep in mind that you don’t have to find answers to all of the questions I’ve listed in one day. Take your time and only find answers to the questions that you feel most drawn to at this current time.
What’s one thing you’ve always enjoyed doing during the course of your life thusfar? Leave your answers in the comments.
To learn more about finding your life purpose, check out “8 Benefits To Finding Your Life Purpose”.
Thank you for reading The Art & Other Gifts Blog! If you liked this post, please share it. 🙂